May 16, 2011

Fiddleheads - Spirals and the Universe

Most anyone who starts out in pottery is mesmerized by how much fun it is to create spirals in clay while the wheel spins. I used to (and still do) spend quite a while just running muddy hands over the wheel making neat patterns.  At some point, I decided that putting spirals into my pottery was cliche and stopped making them.  But when Ruben was born, his belly button was a spiral. I discovered that hair grew in a spiral.  About the first things he drew were spirals.  When he was about six, on the train one day he observed that all people have a spiral on their head.  There are spirals everywhere in nature.  Spirals, I realize, are to be honored, and now I almost always put a spiral somewhere in my pots in some form or other.
 

Fiddleheads, asparagus and mushrooms with noodles
1/2 lb of Fiddleheads (we stumbled on them at Wegman's, apparently some wild foraged ones can be harmful)- blanche by putting them in a pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes and immediately cool in cold water or ice water, cut off brown ends.
Asparagus - grilled lightly in olive oil

Fry some onion, garlic, mushrooms in olive oil, whatever else, like pine nuts or bacon or pancetta
Toss in the asparagus and fiddleheads
Serve over noodles with some grated parmagan


Bowl by Shawn Spangler

The amazing Deirdre making spirals, this one reminds me of DNA