Jul 4, 2013

Cabbage, Cucumbers, Beets, Fermentation....Magic

Pray to the gods
Hope it works out
Magic sometimes happens
Best garage sale find, $2 old manual food processor.
Cabbage fermenting in the crock (with text decals from "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz).
The cucumbers in the bottom were started four days ago, the greener ones on top were added today.
I don't think cucumbers that are fermented should be called pickles! That implies vinegar and canning.
Update: My Polish uncle informed me that Kiszone Ogorki means Sour Cucumbers. SO MUCH BETTER. I will not ever call fermented things pickled! Instead, sour! He also said to get them out of the ferment after just a few days (half-sours) - he was right. The sour bite and cucumber crunch.....I hope you're salivating.
This was the easiest way we've ever grated raw beets.
Front bowl by Willi Singleton, back bowl by Mel Griffin
Add non-iodized salt and squeeze!
No water was added, this is pure beet juice!
Let's hope and pray some magic happens!
Update: Magic HAPPENED! This took about a month, but seriously, sour beets are heaven.
Ah, I'm salivating.